NetBEUI is an extended version of NetBIOS that enables the computers to communicate within a LAN. NetBEUI introduces the frame format that was not specified as part of NetBIOS. NetBEUI protocol is often called as NetBIOS frame (NBF) protocol.
- NetBEUI works at the Transport and Network layers for LAN.
- It is the fastest protocol of all.
- It is a non-routable transport protocol but provides data transportation.
- For transmission within a single LAN, NetBEUI is a good choice keeping performance in mind.
- Its interface must be adapted to other protocols such as IPX or TCP/IP for Internet routing, Generally, both NetBEUI and TCP/IP are installed in each computer and the server is set up to use NetBEUI for communication within the LAN and TCP/IP for communication beyond the LAN.
NetBIOS and NetBEUI were developed by IBM and have been adopted by Microsoft for its Windows NT, XP and 2000, and Windows for Workgroup products. Novell, Hewlett-Packard and DEC too use it in similar products.